Done with trail blazes ( for now )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with trail blazes ( for now )

Spent several hours along the Neuse River section of the trail today, replacing and adding trail blazes. I noticed many of the missing and or damaged blazes were being held on with only one nail which allowed for a lot of movement that caused the blazes to tear. So I used two nails on many of the blazes I put up this week in hopes they will hold up better. Of course Sam the dog had to join me in the woods to protect me from the woozels and other evil creatures lurking along the trail.

As it is hunting season I was wearing a blaze orange hat and I had a blaze orange pack cover for my backpack. Not taking any chances after the one hunter shot and killed his neighbor last week ( he was hunting at night which is illegal in most states and has been charged with manslaughter ). I did not come across any hunters today,

Weather was great, overcast, slight breeze and cool.

Saw some folks hanging a hammock along the river and as I am a hammock camper I went over to see what kind they were using. As is worked out, they had just taken the hammock down when I got to them. Spent a few minutes talking to them about hammocks and the trail. The said come out here to camp put on a regular basis. They had a couple of dogs, so Sam played with them for a few minutes before we headed back to replacing blazes. Came across another hiker close to the Pine Cliffs trail head whom I also talked to for a few minutes.

Got back to the car just in time as it stared to rain as I left the Pine Cliffs parking lot.

One of the reasons I was out replacing blazes is because the trees get hungry and eat them Maybe the trees think they taste good...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_113834.jpg Views:	1 Size:	682.2 KB ID:	1051

Sam checking for woozels
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_121717.jpg Views:	1 Size:	868.5 KB ID:	1052

Geo Cache I found and I was not looking for it. The seal on the container does not work very well as everything inside is damp.
    I put it back where I found it,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_122303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	497.8 KB ID:	1053

Heading out Sam decided to go under this downed tree. On the way back he jumped over it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_123542.jpg Views:	1 Size:	945.8 KB ID:	1054

What happens when you try and take a panoramic picture and the dog gets in the way...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_124627.jpg Views:	1 Size:	697.1 KB ID:	1055

Lots of frogs and turtles to be found here when its warmer
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_124642.jpg Views:	1 Size:	808.8 KB ID:	1056

Can horses read ?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_131638.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	1057

Have to see if the forest service will provide picnic tables for the three shelters along the trail like this one they provided for the horse riders....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_124041.jpg Views:	1 Size:	894.0 KB ID:	1058

Working...
X