Received via email......

John 'Breezy' Jensen
Zebulon, NC

date hiked: 12/2/16

trip report:
Dayhike of the full trail, Pine Cliff to Oyster Point.
Parked my car at the south end Oyster Point trailhead and met Gene Hunstman, my chauffear/shuttle for the day, just before 7:00am. I signed the log book then realized I probably should've signed it where I was starting, not where I was ending. Anyway, Gene drove me up to the norther end, Pine Cliff trailhead, and I was off and running (well, walking) at about 7:22am. Was a beautiful day, not too cold. Noticed the boardwalks were a bit slippery from the wet wood, slight coating of accumulated mold and wet leaves, but was very thankful they were there. The jets from nearby Cherry Point MCAS kept me company. Favorite part of the whole hike was the section btwn Hwy 101 and Dogwood shelter. The pine savannah was awe-inducing. Ate a quiet, peaceful lunch at Dogwood and headed on to Deep Creek Rd. The road was actually the hardest part of the trip, figuratively and literally. Walking on a flat, hard-packed road was harder on the feet than traipsing thru rolling woods. Alas, the sun was out and I appreciated the different colors of the grasses and weeds particularly along the south section of the road before the trail turned back into the woods. The next section to Mill Creek Rd, which I heard was often the wettest, was not too bad, thanks to the time of year and recent weather pattern. My feet stayed dry the whole way, although I had some close calls skirting the sides of the trail to avoid the mud. Only saw one person the entire day, in this section, a northbound young man w/ a full backpack. I finished at Oyster Pt, ~21.7 mi's later, at 3:23pm, happy it was still light out and I didn't have to dig into my pack for my headlamp. Beautiful day, and beautiful place, to do my first every 20+-miles-in-a-day hike. The trail was in superb condition, encountered no obstacles completely blocking the path that weren't already taken care of. Cleaned some foot snaggers off the trail myself to help out the next hikers. Thanks for all who work on this path, it's a gem of eastern NC.

I took a lot of pictures that day, some of them made it to my Facebook album. I made it Public so you should be able to see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...3413994&type=3