Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shelter was crowded 10 Dec

10 Dec 2016 Saturday

Went on an overnight hang at the Dogwood Shelter on the Neusiok Trail last night. A friend was suppose to join me but ended up having to work so I went on by myself. Normally I end up having the shelter and area to myself but this time I had to share. A group of young hikers in their 20's had gotten to the shelter shortly before me. They had a good collection of fire wood which we put to good use that night. Shortly after I got there two more hikers showed up so we had 3 groups there. Both groups were thru hiking the trail and spent the night at the shelter. Had a good time talking to them and answering their questions about the trail.

I was partially testing out a new pack ( REI Traverse 85 ) and partially because it was suppose to get cold and I have not been out hanging in the cold since this past winter/spring. I took one of my DIY 13 ft winter tarps, my EnvyS hammock along with a 7/8 UGQ UQ and a HG TQ both rated to 20 degrees and a military poncho liner. When it is cold out I use the poncho line to cover my head and leave an opening to breathe thru. I have tried sleeping with beanies but they usually come off during the night.

Stayed warm but not toasty. Temps got down to 23 during the night. My water bottle froze solid during the night. Got up about 7am to pack up and go home as I had to let the dog out and get ready for work.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016.JPG Views:	2 Size:	13.4 KB ID:	72

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0015.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	73

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0009.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.3 KB ID:	74

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0017.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	75

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013.JPG Views:	1 Size:	14.7 KB ID:	76

A few more images....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	81

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	78