Yates Place Hike in the Uwharries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yates Place Hike in the Uwharries

Went on a hammock hang and hike in the Uwharries NF in March.

Left home about 7 AM Thursday for the hang. Stopped at the Pig N Pik BBQ joint in Carthage for lunch and place was packed. Good Q.

Got to Yates Place about 1:15 and found Chigger, Old4Hats and PappyAmos ( fellow hammock hangers ) were already there. Also saw the police in the area.

PappyAmos and I had plans to hike parts of the Uwharrie and Dutchman's Creek Trails and camp out on the trail and hike back to Yates Place on Friday to rejoin the hang in progress. So we loaded up our packs and took off about 1:45. We did about 4.5 miles and got to the campsite PappyAmos said we were stopping at. Nice secluded site off the trail next to a stream surrounded by brush and hills.

Three other hikers where already there setting up their tents but we decided to be nice and share the site as there was plenty of room. While the others fixed dinner, I just hung out as I was still full from the BBQ lunch I had. We were all in our tents or hammocks come dark and soon asleep ( or at least I was ). About 1 AM I heard an animal by my hammock and heard something swatting my backpack which I had hanging from a tree. I did not have any open food in the pack so I was not worried. That morning when we got up Pappy said it was a raccoon and it bumped his hammock.

We all fixed our breakfast and I tried some Camp Chow that Shug speaks highly of. I had the Grits with Pork Sausage. While it was easy to fix and tasted good, it had way too much black pepper and after finishing it, it took some time for the pepper taste to go away ( and I like black pepper ). I cooked it in a Batch Stovez Pot. . Those silicone rings around the lip made it easy to pick up the hot pot.

Pappy's original plans were for us to retrace our route back to Yates but he keeps talking about a section with very steep large rocks so I said lets go that way. It was very steep and the rocks where large. If you fell there was nothing to keep you from going all the way to the bottom. Pappy would check our location against some maps and GPS on his phone to see how slow we were going because we were not going fast. I had to take lots of short breaks going up the hills as many of them were very steep.

Around noon we got to Dutchman's Creek and took a break. I set up my hammock to get off my feet and Pappy filtered some water from the creek to fill up our water bottles as we were going thru our water. Told Pappy I owed him a beer for taking care of the water bottles. When it was time to leave I went on ahead as the next section was suppose to be fairly flat and I knew once I hit a steep up hill, Pappy would catch up. Turned out it did not work out that way, I kept stopping and looking back for him but did not see him. A friend of Pappy's by the name of Firebird had already done the loop that day in the opposite direction we did it in ( we stopped and talked to him for a couple of minutes when we passed ) and he beat us back to Yates. Firebird was able to contact Pappy by cell phone and found out Pappy was having leg cramps and hiked back out to help Pappy make it back. Even with that Pappy was only about 10 minutes behind me.

PappyAmos with new Zpack
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0076.JPG Views:	1 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	474

Me with my REI Flash
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0078.JPG Views:	1 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	475

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0081.JPG Views:	1 Size:	14.7 KB ID:	476

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0082.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.6 KB ID:	477

Pappy ponders the signs
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0084.JPG Views:	1 Size:	18.0 KB ID:	478

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0085.JPG Views:	1 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	479

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0086.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.9 KB ID:	480

One of many creeks we crossed Map check
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0089.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	481

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0092.JPG Views:	1 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	482

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0093.JPG Views:	1 Size:	18.5 KB ID:	483

Last edited by gunner76; 02-26-2017, 22:33.
    18 years old with 45 years of experience

Some more pictures of our hike.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	485

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Size:	581.0 KB
ID:	486

Pappy setting up his hammock. He makes most of his hammock gear.

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	487

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	488

My home for the night...A Hammock Gear Cuben Tarp; Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior Hammock, Hammock Gear 3/4 length 20 degree UQ and not seen is my 30 degree TQ

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	489

Two of the 3 tenters we shared the site with

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	490

Those logs made great seats