No announcement yet.

You know the area is a large swamp.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know the area is a large swamp.....

The whole area is a large swamp so it stands to reason some parts of the trail will be wet. Over the years the members of the Carteret Wildlife Club with the help of many volunteers and Boy Scouts have built numerous boardwalks across many of the creeks and muddy sections of the trail.

However there is one section of the trail between Deep Creek Rd ( FR 169 ) and Alligator Tram Rd ( FR 124 ) that tends to be very muddy and wet after a rain and takes some time to dry up. These water logged areas can range from a few inches of water across the trail up to 2 feet of water ( ask me how I know ). As the brush along the sides of the trail is so thick, you can not bushwack around the flooded sections.

At this time there is only one boardwalk along this section and it was built in 2016. While more boardwalks on this section are needed, I do not know when or if any more will be built.

In case you are thinking, why not just reroute the trail, the problem is that the whole area is a very wet area and there is no place to reroute the trail to that is any better.

The attached map shows the area that is most likely to be flooded circled in red.

If you are thru hiking the trail I recommend hiking from Pine Cliffs south to Oyster Point so if the trail is muddy you will get the water/mud towards the end of the hike.
    Soggy Section.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gunner76; 02-22-2017, 23:09.
    18 years old with 45 years of experience

Any idea if this area is currently muddy, or if its normally muddy this time of year?

Comment

Have not hiked that section this year but with all the rain we have lately its a good bet that it is muddy.

Comment

So if I wanted to do as much as possible, going south to north ending at the Pinecliff trailhead, and avoid the swamp, which I've experienced and don't care to repeat, I should start at the 147/169 intersection and head towards the Dogwood Camp?

Comment

I always recommend thru hikers start at Pine Cliffs and hike to Oyster Point. That way you will get the muddy part towards the end of the hike instead of the beginning. Your idea of starting at FS 169 also works.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B93DF037-C7B4-4541-854E-F4A018555C24.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1153 Would it be possible to stay on the gravel road and connect to alligator tram rd as to avoid the muddiest section?

Comment

I would imagine you could, but the southern section of the trail all the way to Oyster Point is wet and unavoidable getting your shoes soaked. We know all about how wet it can get this past weekend since we hiked the entire trail. Also what fun would that be to stay on the road.

Just bring some dry socks and shoes to change into at Oyster Point.

Comment

• gblakey6162
                gblakey6162 commented
                Editing a comment
                We went through it last year, and with a dog it’s not worth the extra cleaning. Hard to tell him not to splash around!

On the AT they call it "Yellow Blazing". I have not taken the road all the way around but what I can see on Google Maps you should be able to walk it. There could be gates that would prevent one from driving some of those sections. Next time I have a chance I will check it out.

Just got back from walking the Oyster Point section of the trail and it was dry.

As one hiker from last year said...learn to embrace the mud.....

Comment

Working...
              X