Stove Wars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove Wars

A few years ago I decided to test the new China Clone stoves that were coming out on the market against a well know high price stove. While the high price stove did boil water slightly faster and weighs a couple ounces less, there is a big price difference.
    Stove vrs Stove vrs Stove Snow Peack LitMax Ti China Gas Stove China Snow Peak LiteMax Clone
    Price About $60 + s&h $10 +/- (1) $0.99 + s&h (1) (2)
    Stove made of Titanium & Stainless Steel Stainless steel & copper Stainless steel & copper
    Case Soft bag Hard orange plastic 2 piece box Hard orange plastic 2 piece box
    Fuel Gas canister Gas canister Gas canister
    Made in Korea China China
    Case size Soft bag 3 1/8” H x 1.5” D x 2 1/8” W 3 1/8” H x 1.5” D x 2.5” W
    Total weight w/case 2.3 oz or 64 grams 4.1 oz or 115 grams 4.3 oz or 121 grams
    Case weight 0.3 oz or 8 grams 0.7 oz or 19 grams 0.7 oz or 21 grams
    Stove weight 2.0 oz or 56 grams 3.4 oz or 96 grams 3.5 oz or 100 grams
    Stove Height 3.25” 3” 2 9/16”
    Stove Size closed 2.5” x 1” 2” x 1.5” 2.25” x 1.5”9
    Stove Size open (3) 3.75” x 4.75” 3” x 2.5” 3.75” x 4.75”
    Ignition system No Yes, ceramic piezoelectric Yes, ceramic piezoelectric
    Number of pot supports 3 4 3
    (1) Sold on Ebay at different price points, some include shipping in price
    (2) I won the bid at $0.99 plus about $12 shipping
    (3) Approximate measurement as it depends on how you measure the stove when open
    I placed stove upside down with the pot supports extended on a piece of paper and
    measured a straight line based on this to get an rectangle
    Water boil Test
    2 cups of water 2:00 minutes 2:30 minutes 2:30 minutes
    I used an electronic kitchen thermometer to measure the temps
    so while the water was boiling a few seconds before the
    thermometer said it was 212 degrees, I went by the thermometer.
    Each test was conducted with the same pot, 2 cups of water at 62 degrees and the stoves at full blast I used 3 K Mart Grease pots
    with out a lid for the tests.
    I conducted the test in my backyard shed so the stoves were protected from any wind
    I have been using several of the China clone stoves for several years now and they have held up with the only problem being that the ceramic piezoelectric igniter tends to break. As I carry a bic lighter when camping, this has not been an issue.

In conclusion I would have to say for the price difference I would have to say that if you do not have one of the several variety of China clone stoves then you should
    consider getting one to save some money as you can buy a lot of fuel with the money you will save. Of course if weight is a major issue then go with the a stove like the
    Snow Peak
Working...
X