$1 Folding Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1 Folding Knife

Yes...you can get a folding knife at Dollar Tree for $1. It only weighs 1.5 oz. Super light weight. Has a Stainless steel blade and is easy to open and close.

Drawback.... only had a cutting edge on one side. It still slices and dices.

I have been using one of these knives for a couple of months now and find that it works much better than I thought it would.

If you are a gram wennie then this is the knife for your next backpacking trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5394.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	748

Name:	DSCF5393.JPG
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	749

Name:	DSCF5392.JPG
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	750

Name:	DSCF5395.JPG
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	751

Name:	DSCF5391.JPG
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	752

For folding knife, you can try kubey folding knife. It really high quality and cheaper. Click here to view: http://kubeyknife.com/

Comment

Saving weight on gear can always be a challenge. As one vendor put it...lighten your wallet and lighten you load or keep the money in your wallet and the weight on your back.

I agree that the Kubey knifes are going to be higher quality, so are my Gerbers and CKRT and other knives. The cheaper part I will have to dispute as the least expensive Kubey I found on their site was $10 ( plus shipping ) and the Dollar Tree knife is only $1.00 ( plus tax ).

Never said this Dollar Tree knife was high quality, just that it is very light weight at 1.5 oz and has held up to daily use at work which IMO makes it an ideal knife for backpacking when you are trying to save some weight and dollars on your gear.

If you are trying to do survival camping which is not the same as backpacking then this $1 knife is probably not what you want but survival camping is about using what you have.

A couple of other folding knifes I have weigh in at between 4+ to 5 oz so while a weight savings of about 3 ounces may not seem like much, it can add up over time. After one backpacking trip, I reviewed the gear I took and used and decided that the only place I could cut some weight was to invest in a cuben fiber tarp which cost me close to $300 but saved my over 8 oz of weight. I recently changed my backpack which has save me some weight.

I am not a gear gram wennie and while I do not want to carry any more weight than I have to, I still carry what I need to be comfortable for the conditions I expect to encounter and a camp stool that while heavy at 2 pounds gives me a place to sit ( I am too old and have some back problems so trying to sit in one the butterfly chairs that are only a few inches off the ground are a no go for me ).

Comment

Working...
      X