Tools I use for making DIY Meals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools I use for making DIY Meals

Lots of recipes out their for cooking up a batch of meals for your next camping / hiking adventure but you have to have a way to process the cooked food in a dehydrated state that is light weight and will not require refrigeration while on the trail.

Here are my tools....

Lots of different dehydrators out there. I use a NESCO. This is the second one I have gotten. First one lasted about 6 years. Good part is that I now have lots of extra trays. I like it because the motor is on the top so wet food can not drip down into the motor. There are better dehydrators out there but this one works for my purposes. Only down side to this model is that there is not an on / off switch. You plug it in to start and unplug to stop.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0140.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	1487

Extra Trays. The trays are easy to clean and you can order extras.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0141.JPG Views:	1 Size:	21.7 KB ID:	1488

I use a Food Save vacuum sealer. Once again there are better and worse vacuum sealers out there. This model will also seal Mylar vacuum bags. Tip...I find it helps if you do a second heat seal of the the bag you just vacuumed sealed to ensure it does not leak.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0148.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	1489

I also use desiccants with each bag of food I dehydrate. I have a couple of different sizes depending on the size / amount of food I am vacuum sealing. I also have a bag of oxygen absorbents but from what I have read, it is more important to keep the food dry. I got all of these on Amazon.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0142.JPG Views:	1 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	1490

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0143.JPG Views:	1 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	1491

Working...
X