DIY Gravity Water Filter

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Gravity Water Filter

Finally decided to make a DIY Gravity Water Filter System

Ordered the following from Amazon:

Hydroblu Water Filter ...about $24 ( I have the Sawyer filters but this one came with the nozzle and clip )

Ordered this kit as it includes the hose ( can not be seen in the package as it is on the back of the package; the filter, the clp and a nozzle

Click image for larger version  Name:	SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	1243Click image for larger version  Name:	71PSJkGzMUL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	1244

Also ordered a 5 Liter Dry bag... UST Watertight Dry Bag, Orange, 5 Liter ...about $8.00

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5714.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1251

Step One....Find the center fold line on the bottom of the bag and fold the bag in half and then fold in half again.

Cut a very small hole in the bottom center of the dry bag. Remember, you can always make the hole larger....but not smaller

You can see the hole at the bottom of the bag. I almost cut it too large.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5714.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.2 KB ID:	1245Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.6 KB ID:	1246

Take the nozzle apart and remove one of the plastic O rings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5717.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.1 KB ID:	1247

The part on the left will go in the bag and the you push the end thru the hole in the bottom of the bag.

Once the nozzle has been pushed thru the bag; place the O ring over the exposed nozzle and screw on the cap until it is finger tight.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5718.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.9 KB ID:	1248

Add the hose and clip and fill the bag with some water and hang up to check for leaks.

I hung mine from the shower head. After an hour there was no signs of leaking around the nozzle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5722.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	1249

This set up can also be used with a Sawyer water filter.

You can also sew your own water bag and or find a lighter weight dry sack to use.

I added the filter and the systems works. I will be taking it on my next backpacking trip.

Total weight of bag, nozzle hose and clip is 4.4 oz. As it is still damp from the water test I figure that this weight is realistic and most times one will not wait for the bag to dry on the inside before packing it up and continuing with ones hike. I am sure I can cut an oz or two if I decide to make (sew ) my own bag ( I have plenty of scrap silnylon I can use ).