More updates on Trail Closures ect due to Florence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More updates on Trail Closures ect due to Florence

From the Carteret County Wild Life Club..

Trail is a mess! Gene and I walked from Bilfinger Rd to the Dogwood Camp shelter. We immediately encountered a major disruption. A section of the “dog-leg” bridge near Bilfinger has been raised about 3' in the air and tilted by a huge tree root wad that came up under it. See attached picture. Other parts of the trail have downed trees. The shelter is fine. We also checked the section near “still gut” bridge. Bridge is fine but many large trees cover the trail east of the bridge.

Neusiok Trail is closed. The entire trail has been closed by the USFS and they do not plan to open it in the near future. Gene talked to the new acting ranger and requested that they at least consider working to open the popular Pine Cliff to NC306 (Ferry road) section. For a map of the areas of the Croatan that are closed go to https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd602041.pdf

Weetock Trail is open according to the Forest Service

Despite Gervase' repeated requests, we have received no word from USFS on permitting us to improve the bridge on the Neusiok trail near Pine Cliff. (by now the bridge may have been washed away by the ~2 feet of rain brought by Florence). Gervase will also request that the club be allowed to help clear the trail. If the USFS agrees to our help, Gervase would like volunteers to walk the trail and make an inventory of the work that we could accomplish.

That dog leg bridge / board walk was completely rebuilt a few years ago after a control burn resulted in a burning tree falling across the bridge.

Link to pdf copy of closure notice: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd596426.pdf.

Notice says closure will end the 13 of December but could last longer. Fines are up to $5K if caught in or on a closed area.

Link to pdf map of impacted areas: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd602041.pdf

Comment

Just got this information from the Carteret County Wildlife Club....

The Neusiok Trail has been closed since the hurricane on Sept 13 and will stay closed for the foreseeable future according to the Forest Service. Gene said The USFS told him that they require money to be released through an Act of Congress which is not expected until next year. They estimate it will be as much as two years before the trail is reopened after alterations to meet current Forest Service standards. Gervase said he has written three letters, and left numerous emails and phone messages to the District Ranger requesting meetings on this issue with no response. (After our Club meeting, Gervase sent a letter to the District Ranger asking that at least a couple of sections at the popular northern end of the trail be reopened soon.) If appeals to reason fail, Gene said he will resort to all available methods to pressure them to open the trail sooner. Gene noted that the USFS has made no attempt to comply with the Memorandum of Agreement that previous Ranger Cody Hutchinson signed with us. Meanwhile, we have already received inquiries from folks wishing to hike the trail.
      I am beginning to think that the USFS does not want the trail to reopen which is a shame since the CCWLC has always been able to round up a crew to work on working on the trail when needed. The trail attracts folks to the area to hike the trail and spend money in the area which is win win situation in my opinion.

Comment

Got to thinking ( I know, a dangerous thing for me to do ) and remembered that the the Forest Service paid some big buck about 10 years ago to have the southern 4 miles of the NT ( Oyster Point to Alligator Tram Rd ) improved which consisted of a contractor coming in and widening the trail to about 6 ft wide, filling in the mud holes with marl and using geo fabric to help stabilize the low areas and building about 8 USFS approved boardwalks. The only old boardwalk along this stretch is the one on the south side of Mill Creek Rd

Since this section was improved, there have not been any issues with damage from the several hurricanes that have come thru and it should required little more than clearing a few down trees and removing from brush to get this section of the trail to get it open again. But since the USFS has closed the trail, I can not legally check it out to see what if any damage may have occurred.

Comment

Working...
        X